ACL-PCL Reconstruction Surgery
The Anterior Cruciate Ligament or ACL reconstruction is the surgery, performed to rebuild the ligament present at the center part of the knee. ACL keeps the tibia or shine bone in its place. When this ligament tears, it could cause the knee to give away, experienced especially during the normal to hard physical activities.
The reconstruction involves the need of the tissue to rebuild the ACL by replacing. The tissue can be taken from the other parts of the body of the patient and it is called autograft. Alternatively, the tissue can also be taken from the donor or the other person and such graft is called allograft.
Need of the surgery
If the ACL is not reconstructed when needed, knee would become unstable and chances of meniscus tear are increased. So, ACL reconstruction is needed for the following problems associated with the knees.
- Candidates felt unstable with their knees, while performing the daily activities
- Severe knee pain
- Inability to play sports and other hard activities
- While the other ligaments get injured
- PCL is possibly ruptured or torn, while playing sports activities or also from a direct blow happening over the knees. If it is rupture or minor injury, it can be possibly treated with the help of muscle strengthening or physiotherapy. However, if the injury is severe, PCL reconstruction is needed.
- Usually, acute PCL tears, in combination with other things like MCL complex, ACL, posterolateral corner tears are usually combined and the reconstruction is performed before three weeks of the knee injury. Rarely, PCL repair is done, when a bone avulsion injury or peel off is happened. PCL reconstruction is performed also for the patients, who suffer from chronic PCL injuries and who have instability and pain symptoms.
- Risks that are associated with the anesthesia are allergic reactions from the medicine and breathing problems
- Risks for any surgery are infection and bleeding
- Specific risks from ACL Reconstruction are, blood clots found in the leg, ligament healing failure, pain or weakness in the knees, injury happening to the nearby blood vessels, lost range of mobility or stiffness of knees.
- Before the Surgery
Pre surgical evaluation is done, by checking the medical history of the patient, and thorough discussion happens about the other kinds of medications or other medical complications that the patient, has been going through or had gone through in the past.Before the surgical procedure starts, drugs taken for other medications must be stopped. If the patient has other medical complications like heart disease, diabetes or others like herpes breakout, cold, flue, etc., it needs the discussion with the family doctor, or at least thorough check of the medical records are done. Smoling and alcohol must be stopped..
- Surgery Procedure
CL reconstruction procedure is performed using knee arthroscopy. Arthroscopy consists of a camera that is to be inserted into the knee and the surgeon can view the inner view of the knee that is seen over the video monitor. The video helps also to check the tissues and the ligaments present in the knee. Small incisions are made over the surgical site of the knee and the procedure is performed with the following steps.
The ligament torn is removed with the help of the instruments like shaver.
If the tissue considered to be taken is autograft, a larger cut is made and then the autograft is then removed.
Tunnels are made in the bone for bringing the new tissue through the way. The new tissue is then placed at the position of the old ACL.
The new ligament is attached to the bone with the help of the screws or with the help of other devices so that they are held in the right position. The bone tunnels are filled in as and when it heals. It holds the new ligament in the right position.
Once the surgery is completed, the incisions are then closed with the sutures and the surgical area is then covered with dressing. The pictures of the inner parts of the knees can be shown to the patient, after the procedure is completed.
Recovery and Rehabilitation
After the surgery is performed, patient has to stay in the hospital for the overnight. Recovery is rapid from the anesthesia and the patient can awake, soon the operation is completed. However, the drowsy would be continued for an hour or two hours. The patient will be discharged from the hospital, after ensuring that he or she is able to bear his or her weight on the crutches as these are important for security. Waterproof dress is made. Finally, before leaving, physiotherapist will detail about how to perform the daily based exercises and these exercises will strengthen the bones and the recovery will be sooner.
The surgeon and orthopedic team suggest you all the necessary exercises to perform on daily basis. The rehabilitation program has to be followed at least for 4 to 6 months of duration, post surgery.
The above Package Cost is a tentative Approximate Package Estimate, which includes initial investigations & specialists screening, stay in a Private Room wherein patient’s assistant or relative can also stay with patient, doctor / surgeon fee, nursing care, medicines & consumables, Airport Pick-Up & Drop.
In order to access estimate of treatment package cost, do email us at firstname.lastname@example.org all your medical reports.
On receiving your medical reports, we will revert to you within 24 Hours with right estimate package after getting your medical reports examined by best team of doctors at best hospitals in India. We will also assist you in traveling part, which includes, airfare booking, medical visa invitation, airport pick-up and drop, hotel stay & visit for any sightseeing. With our 10 years of expertise in delivering highly caring International Patients Assistance Services, you can completely rely on us in every step of your recovery. Our all International Patient Assistance Services are absolutely FREE!!! as Globalcare Health is an official associate of India’s Best Hospitals & Specialists.