Heart Transplant Surgery is the surgical procedure, which is performed to remove the diseased or damaged heart and then get replaced by the heart of the donor. The donation of the heart is usually done by the donor, for whose the brain is dead and lives on the life support. It is important that this heart is matched with the heart of the patient, in terms of type of the tissue, so that the chances of rejection of the heart by the patient’s body will be reduced.
Need for Heart Transplant Surgery
Heart transplantation is needed for the candidates, who suffer from the following.
- Candidates suffering with severe angina, which cannot be cured with medications and also from other kinds of surgeries
- Candidates, who have experienced severe heart failure and the medicine and other kinds of surgeries could not cure the problem
- Abnormal heart beats or rhythms that are life-threatening and are not responding to the other treatments
- Children, who have the heart defects right from the birth and the defects are could not be fixed with the other surgeries
However, the heart transplantation is not for the candidates, who suffer from the following.
- Candidates, who are malnourished
- Candidates, older than 55 years of age
- The one, who got severe stroke
- A person with HIF infection
- Candidate, suffering from cancer
- For the patients, who have active hepatitis infections
- Candidates, who have diabetes and are insulin-dependent
- Candidates, for whom the family support is not present
- Candidates with pulmonary hypertension, which thicken the vessels of blood present in the lungs
- Candidates with drug and alcohol abused and smoling
The procedure starts with the general anesthesia given to the patient. A small incision is made over the breastbone. The heart is initially, made stopped to work, by using certain solutions applied over it. Then the heart-lung bypass machine is connected to the heart. The purpose of this machine is to function like a heart and supply the oxygen and blood to the parts of the body, just like heart. Then the diseased or damaged heart is then removed from the patient’s body and then donor’s heart is replaced in its place. After the replacement of the heart, the heart-lung machine is then removed. The blood then starts flowing through the heart to the parts of the body. Heart Transplant Surgery in India has highest success rates & hundreds of patient across the globe got their heart transplant surgery done in India at best heart transplant hospital in India.
There are certain cases, where the heart is not removed from its place and remained in its place and the new heart is placed above its place. This kind of transplantation is called heterotopic transplant.
After the heart is replaced, special tubes are inserted in the chest, so that the fluid, blood and air will be drained. These tubes are placed for several days. It helps the lungs to re-expand to full extent.
- Converting the food to energy
- Regulation of the blood clot
- Forming the bile and then production of proteins used for blood plasma
- Clear of the blood from poisonous substances like drugs
The risks associated with the heart transplantation are the risks associated with the anesthesia, any surgery and transplant.
The risks that may arise from the anesthesia are
- Breathing problems
- Reactions found from the medicine
- Breathing problems
- Anti-rejection medicine, may affect the liver, kidney or other organs
- Blood clots
- Rejection preventing drugs, causing development of cancer
- Problems with heart rhythm, heart attack or other coronary artery disease
- Rejection to the new heart
- Wound infections
- Increased diabetes, cholesterol levels and thinning of the bone from the medicine
The risks that may arise from any kind of surgery are
- Breathing problems
Biliary Atresia – This condition occurs from either absence of the bile ducts or abnormal development of the same.
Acute Hepatic Necrosis – This condition is caused because the tissue in the liver dies.
Liver Cancers – Primary tumors in the liver, and not yet spread to the external parts of the liver.
Metabolic Disease – This is a condition, caused from the chemical activity, caused by the liver in the cells.
Autoimmune Hepatitis – Damage and destruction of the liver because of the chronic inflammation caused in the liver.
The above Package Cost is a tentative Approximate Package Estimate, which includes initial investigations & specialists screening, stay in a Private Room wherein patient’s assistant or relative can also stay with patient, doctor / surgeon fee, nursing care, medicines & consumables, Airport Pick-Up & Drop.
In order to access estimate of treatment package cost, do email us at firstname.lastname@example.org all your medical reports.
On receiving your medical reports, we will revert to you within 24 Hours with right estimate package after getting your medical reports examined by best team of doctors at best hospitals in India. We will also assist you in traveling part, which includes, airfare booking, medical visa invitation, airport pick-up and drop, hotel stay & visit for any sightseeing. With our 10 years of expertise in delivering highly caring International Patients Assistance Services, you can completely rely on us in every step of your recovery. Our all International Patient Assistance Services are absolutely FREE!!! as Globalcare Health is an official associate of India’s Best Hospitals & Specialists.
- Urgency – based on the critical condition of the patient
- Diagnostic Tests – to assess the liver and overall status of health of the patient.
- Psychological and social evaluation – it includes assessing the stress, family support, financial condition, etc., which influence the final outcome of the transplantation.
- Blood Tests – to assess matching potential of the donor liver with the liver of the patient
- You have to wear a gown after removing your cloths
- It starts with IV or intravenous line on the hand. Heart and blood pressure monitoring catheter are inserted to the wrist and neck. Additional catheters may be inserted at subclavian areas.
- You need to lye on the table.
- Excessive hair is removed at the site of surgery
- A catheter is arranged to drain urine
- After sedation, a tube is inserted into the lungs to control breathing through a ventilator.
- A slant incision is done under the ribs.
- The diseased liver is separated from the structure and surrounding organs to remove and the veins and arteries are clamped to control the flow of blood to the liver
- Donor liver is taken and connected to the blood vessels of the patient, and blood flow is established.
- Bile ducts are connected
- Drain may be needed to place in the site of incision to control swelling
- Dressing is done