Total Knee Replacement
Total Knee Replacement has another term as Total Knee Artrhoplasty. This is a surgical procedure, in which the damaged, diseased or worn knee joint is replaced with an artificial surface, after removing the original one. The knee replacement procedure is performed for relieving the disability and pain that are caused from the meniscus tears, cartilage defects, degenerative arthritis and ligament tears.
Need for the Total Knee Replacement Surgery
The candidates, who experience the following are usually eligible for the total knee replacement surgery.
- In cases that the knee is totally injured or damaged by arthritis
- Hard to perform the daily activities like walking, climbing stairs, etc.
- Feel severe pain, while lying down or sitting
- Non surgical treatments like anti-inflammatory medications, injections of cortisone and lubrication, physical or other therapies are no longer beneficial for the above problems
- Wants to correct the leg deformity
- Swelling or chronic knee inflammation that does not get relieved from the medication or rest
Knee & knee Pain
The knee in the human body is the largest joint present. It is much needed for the daily activities. Knee is made with the combination of upper end of shinbone, lower end of thighbone and kneecap. The network of these three bones is covered with a smooth substance called articular cartilage. This substance enables the bones to move easily and protect them. Wedges are present here and act just like a shock absorber and also help the joint to cushion.
Knee pain or knee disability is generally caused from arthritis. There are many kinds of arthritis and out of them, the most of the pains are caused from rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and post traumatic arthritis.
The candidate is evaluated medically by the orhopaedic surgeon using various components.
- Medical history of the candidate
- Overall physical examination
- X rays
- Optionally, MRI scan
- Medical evaluation
- Medications that are being taken presently
- Urine and blood tests
- Dental evaluation to evaluate the infection possibilities
Total knee replacement surgery is performed in four basic steps.
- Preparation of the bone
Preparation of the bone involves the removal of the cartilage surfaces that are damaged. These cartilage surfaces are removed from the ends of tibia and femur. Along with that, underlying bone is also removed in a small amount.
- Positioning the metal implants
The bone and the cartilage that are removed would be replaced with a new metal component. The new metal component recreates the surface present over the joint. The metal parts replaced may be either press-fit or cemented and fixed into the bone.
- Resurfacing the patella
The kneecap or patella that is present in the undersurface is cut. It then is resurfaces with a new plastic button. However, all the knee replacements do not need this resurface and the decision is made by the surgeons, based on the special conditions of the patient.
- Insertion of a spacer
A spacer, which is made up of a medical grade plastic is inserted in between the components made of metal. These metal components are inserted for creating the surface that is smooth gliding.
The total knee replacement surgery is also associated with various complications, possibly just like any other surgery.
The complications are
- Blood clots
- Neurovascular injury/li>
- Continued pain
- Implant issues
- After the knee replacement surgery is completed, the patient needs to have a stay in the hospital for several days in the hospital. During the stay in the hospital, the patient is taken care in terms of pain management, blood clot prevention, physical therapy and prevention of pneumonia.
The above Package Cost is a tentative Approximate Package Estimate, which includes initial investigations & specialists screening, stay in a Private Room wherein patient’s assistant or relative can also stay with patient, doctor / surgeon fee, nursing care, medicines & consumables, Airport Pick-Up & Drop.
In order to access estimate of treatment package cost, do email us at email@example.com all your medical reports.
On receiving your medical reports, we will revert to you within 24 Hours with right estimate package after getting your medical reports examined by best team of doctors at best hospitals in India. We will also assist you in traveling part, which includes, airfare booking, medical visa invitation, airport pick-up and drop, hotel stay & visit for any sightseeing. With our 10 years of expertise in delivering highly caring International Patients Assistance Services, you can completely rely on us in every step of your recovery. Our all International Patient Assistance Services are absolutely FREE!!! as Globalcare Health is an official associate of India’s Best Hospitals & Specialists.